Juliet 192 Recruit Journal Week 04

International Maritime Signal Flag

Juliet 192 Recruit Journal

Formed: January 5, 2016

Graduates: February 26, 2016

JULIET 192

Week 4 Summary

What a week for Juliet-192! We have reached the halfway mark of basic training and we closed out the first half with a bang, literally. Week four was jam packed with the physical fitness assessment, the firing range, and the no lie a movie!!! Also we had the midterm, and filled out our dream sheets. I’ll get to the most unexpected part first. After morning chow on Saturday we were marched to Sexton Hall where there were buses waiting to take us to see the movie The Finest Hours. For those that don’t know anything about the film, it is based on the true story of the greatest Coast Guard small boat rescue in history. The film starred Chris Pine as Bernie Webber, who in 1952 saved the lives of thirty-two men off the coast of Chatham, MA. The surprise that we were going off base put a smile on everyone’s face. We had the theater for ourselves. One of our Company Commanders did not approve, “why do you get to go to the movies?” He asked. “You won’t get to watch it before I do”. Sure enough, there he was in the back, sharing in the comfort of the cinema seats that we considered to be clouds from heaven. Many of Juliet’s sleep deprived recruits must have dozed off at one point or another. Once of the guys a row down from me snored. Another had a puddle of drool on his shoulder.

Monday and Tuesday we learned firearms safety and how to handle the standard Coast Guard pistol, the SIG P9229R DAK. Wednesday and Thursday, we rode a blissful, stress free, 45 minutes to the firing range and had at it. Out of approximately 80 people, 10-15 had never shot a gun before. The Sig’s appear heavy for a new shooter and the recoil is startling. Regardless of how everyone shot, the key concept learned was safety. On Thursday however, one among us reached legendary status when he scored “expert” (147/150). A feat only accomplished by 10 others before him in a total of 2000 shooters. Eight or so shot “sharpshooter”, a few qualified as “marksman”, but most did not score 114 or above. Only one quarter of us will be wearing the marksmanship pin on graduation. Our instructors were excellent and professional. It was a unique experience for all.

This week we filled out our dream sheets. These are the preferences of Districts and types of stations/billets that we are requesting. Nothing is guaranteed, since the needs of the service come first. You could be hoping to go lounge in a Miami Beach but instead get assigned to the coldest district, Alaska. I was surprised to see that so many people were hoping for assignments near home. Outside of marriage and important family conditions, we have been advised that we are too young, and the world is too big, for us to go back to where we come from. This is a seagoing service, filled with amazing opportunities to travel even outside the US. In your next letter, tell your loved one to embrace this opportunity and travel. Most people spend all their earnings trying to visit where we will be stationed.

We’ve accomplished a lot, both individually and as a company. We have left the “couch potato” status and have evolved into Seaman Recruits. Upcoming are uniform inspections and manual of arms testing. Soon we will be a senior company and earn our colors, with the physical, midterm, and swim test out of the way, all we need to do now is continue to remain focused and try to evade the end of the stick of our Company Commander’s.   We send much love and positive energy. We are looking forward to calling you all next week!

Editor’s Note: This blog post was written by a recruit currently involved in Coast Guard basic training. The thoughts and opinions expressed in this Journal do not necessarily reflect those of Training Center Cape May, the U.S. Coast Guard or the federal government and are the sole opinion of the author. Recruit Journals are written by personnel in a high-stress environment with little time, so please excuse grammar and punctuation in the above article. The staff at Training Center Cape May do not edit the journals in any way, so as to ensure authenticity of the content and messages.

Tags:

22 Responses

1. Carolyn says:

Wonderful news Juliet 192!!! Keep up the great teamwork and forging ahead full force! Stay focused and healthy!!! Prayers are with each of you! Stay ALERT!

2. Nedy Fonseca says:

We are so proud of all of you in Juliet 192!! Already half way done!!! Congratulations! We are cheering for each and every one of you! We are so glad to see that you guys were able to have a day and go to the movies! I’m sure it was a much needed break. Now let’s finish these last couple of weeks! Keep pushing and going, you all have made it sooooo far!!!! Special shout out to SR Christopher Rosario! We are all doing great and we are so incredibly proud of you!! LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU SO MUCH, SO MUCH!! See you soooon!!!!! 🙂

“Boom

3. Helena Roque says:

Way to go Juliet 192! SR Roque keep strong and positive. You guys can do it. Thank you for your letters so positive and full of energy. Love you!

4. Stacy Huerta says:

So full of pride for Juliet-192!! You guys are so strong and courageous!!! Keep up the hard work! The end is near!!! Special shout out to SR Huerta, we love you son and we’re counting the days to see you graduate!!!

5. Shari Benedetti Ames says:

Love Juliet 192…stay strong…you all got this…so many prayers and so much love:)

6. Amira Brown-Ridgle says:

Yay, Juliet-192 you are doing your thing!!! It sounds like you are pushing through this process with flying colors. We are so very proud of you all! Just a few more weeks left! SR Turhan Brown, we are so looking forward to seeing you on Feb 26th. We love you! Keep focused to achieve your goal…you can do it!

7. Lisa Beaver Alderman says:

I look forward to each update! This week was full of many accomplishments for Juliet 192. You are half way through!!! You’ve got this…February 26 is in your sights!!! SR Braxton Beaver… We love and miss you!!! Stay strong and keep taking it day by day. We can’t wait to see you!

8. Michelle Negron says:

Was anxiously awaiting the update of week 4. Love reading these. So happy that you all had some down time with the movie, and the ride to the fire range. Keep up the great job of keeping up with training. Half way there. We love you Juliet 192, and SR Dan Negron and thank you for serving, and giving of your life for others. Missing you and counting the weeks.. We also await and love reading your letters.. Stay strong and focused. Phil 4:13

9. Jessica M. Harris says:

GOD IS WITH YOU JULIET 192!

10. rafael says:

It felt so amazing to hear Sr. Briceno Victoria voice again I’m glad to know she’s doing better. You’re almost there Juliet-192 we all know you can do it

11. Pamela Fox Towne says:

Sr David Towne your in our hearts and mind. You’ve got this. Keep pushing To all recruits this is one big step in your life. This challenge will only prepare you for your future.

12. April Ciccariello says:

SR Miguel Santiago you are very well much missed keep strong keep on pushin stay determined February 26th is right around the corner see you soon think of you everyday Juliet 192 and SR Miguel Santiago you are halfway there keep your heads up

13. April Ciccariello says:

SR Miguel Santiago I am so happy to hear that you got the training camp and went to go see a movie I’m sure that was a lot of fun I’m also thrilled to hear that you’re halfway through its music to my ears and I’m sure you’re happy as well Juliet 192 I’m so glad to hear that you are all pulling together and sticking together as a team through sweat and tears you have earned this and now next week you learn your colors I’m so excited for you all I love us are Miguel Santiago you are very well much missed can’t wait to hear from you next week

14. April Ciccariello says:

SR Miguel Santiago and Juliet 192 I’m so happy to hear that all of you are pulling together as a team you are halfway through and you are almost there I’m sure the movie was a lot of fun all you need to do now is remain focused remain calm in all situations do your best keep your heads up graduation is right around the corner this is a huge step in all of your lives may God bless you all don’t let your guard down you are not done until you graduate perseverance and determination is key I am so happy to hear and follow weekly blogs on your journal every week I literally live for this SR Miguel Santiago you are very much missed and loved and cannot wait to see you again I hope I get a phone call from you I love you love your honey bear April

15. April Ciccariello says:

hearing this news that all of Juliet 192 is doing well keep up the good work you all in my prayers everyday and everynight and SR Miguel Santiago I think of you every single minute of every single day that passes everyday that passes is one more day closer to graduation baby keep up the good work Semper Paratus

16. Nichole says:

What an amazing and exciting week for Juliet 192! Very proud of you SR Hayden Simpson, and everyone! How exciting that you have come so far and will soon earn your colors! Stay focused and on track.Feb. 26 will be here before you know it. So many people are looking forward to seeing you!! Sending love from California!

17. Pam Sherwood says:

These updates are so soothing to my heart, I know what strength it is taking from all of Juliette 192 to continue and couldn’t be prouder. SR Rocky Sherwood you are so missed and very much loved.

18. Veronica Oyarzabal says:

Sr. Manuel Omar Chavez, we receive your letters and we are so happy to know that you are living so exciting and amazing experiences with all your friends at Juliet 192, we miss you so much and we are waiting anxiously your call, Keep strong and positive, my prayers are with all of you. Counting the days to see you

19. Deanna says:

It’s almost week 6 Juliet-192. Keep strong and persevere. You are almost there. I hope you area all excited about your orders. 🙂 SR Hale, stay strong, dig deep and you will pull through. I know you can do this! Don’t get stuck in your head. Miss you and love you!

20. Briana Blue says:

SR Jared blue I love you hubby! It’s almost week 6 and soon I will get to see you! I’m so glad I got to talk to you the other night after a month!! We all love you baby keep strong. Your making a lot of people proud!!

21. Clint Phillips says:

SR Matt LaCerte: I’m proud of you! It feels good having another family member in the Coast Guard! I hope to get a chance to see you before you report to your duty assignment.

You’re almost done — hang in there!

22. The MF - MFT says:

SR Turhan Brown and the Legionnaires of Juliet 192:
    Persevere and continue to train, learn, master, apply, comprehend and
    understand your jobs and missions!

You all are doing what you’ve prepared and chosen to do; this is both your study and your job now. What you’re doing is NOT torture or punishment. It is the culmination of the first portions of your lives – as you stand at the door to the next part of your lives. Just like when you were in school: YOUR jobs were to be GREAT students!! Did you do your jobs? I don’t know, only you know for sure.

That was ‘then’, but this is NOW!! What are you going to do now, Olympians??
    You are on the paths of your lives. You encounter CHALLENGES in your path. You could consider these challenges to be an Immovable Obstacles – and do one of two things: STOP and be PARALYZED in place, or TURN AROUND and
    go in REVERSE/ BACKWARDS with your lip poked out whining, the way you came! NOT HAPPENING!!

This should become your operative martial philosophies: First, you say, “This is NOT a Problem! I am not going to allow THIS to be or become a PROBLEM to me.”
    Then you decide: “If I have to I can go AROUND it to the Right, I can go AROUND it to the LEFT, I can go OVER it, I can go UNDER it, I can go THROUGH it, or I can PUSH it out of MY PATH!! I have many options, but I will NOT let this –or anything else – be a Problem to ME!” This is the true way of the Warrior.

This is what you’re studying to be. Many have succeeded in this before you – many will succeed in this after you – and you will succeed in this now – today –
    tomorrow, throughout your entire Coast Guard career. This is Your Life & Your Job. Relish the Challenge – then Conquer it!!
    —–