Foxtrot 194 Recruit Journal Week 03

International Maritime Signal Flag Foxtrot

Foxtrot 194 Recruit Journal

Formed: March 7, 2017

Graduates: April 28, 2017

 

F-194

Week 03 Historian Summary

 

Week zero three has been the hardest week of training thus far. We were reminded daily of our mistakes and beat rigorously until the pain reminded us not to repeat those mistakes. As a team, as Foxtrot-194, we were learning what it means to hold a military bearing, what it means to be fast and loud, and we were leaning most importantly that failure is not something to be ashamed of but something to learn from!

This week had hundreds of highlights, some great but most horrible. The beginning of the week was like a freight liner pulling away from a stop light. We were introduced into Seamanship and began leaning several new things. We learned the difference between a bowline knot and a slip clove hitch and we also learned not to talk in class, because shortly after, we sweat until we looked as if we just dove head first into a swimming pool. As our wheels slowly started turning by mid week, Foxtrot-194 was actually getting loud and getting faster. We were walking with pride, we may have been confused at times, but we owned every ounce of it.

Another milestone was that we learned even if 95% of the company was fast and loud, the other 5% that were not made everyone pay. One of our Company Commanders famous words, “It takes many men and women to sail a ship, but only one to sink it”. If Foxtrot-194 did not bring the thunder, Medusa brought the rain. Medusa is a heavy hawser who loves to dance. If Foxtrot-194 was not loud, salsa music echoed through the squad bays as we danced with Medusa. She is also a great counselor, after talking with her you usually would not make the same mistakes again, but low and behold, some of us just cannot get enough.

By the week’s end, several sweat sessions and countless pushups, just when we thought we were doing better, a hurricane hit Healy Hall. The hurricane destroyed every recruit squad bay in Foxtrot-194. We had snow (toilet paper) everywhere, we had shreds of paper littered across the place, and all of our gear covered every inch of the deck to where we could hardly walk. After the second time of untying thirty five shoes apart from each other, we finally learned to tie the laces in a square knot when not in use.

So far Foxtrot-194, things are improving slowly but steadily. We still have numerous tasks to overcome, but we are willing. Things are rough now, but calm seas never make experienced sailors.

 

 

 

Editor’s Note: This blog post was written by a recruit currently involved in Coast Guard basic training. The thoughts and opinions expressed in this Journal do not necessarily reflect those of Training Center Cape May, the U.S. Coast Guard or the federal government and are the sole opinion of the author. Recruit Journals are written by personnel in a high-stress environment with little time, so please excuse grammar and punctuation in the above article. The staff at Training Center Cape May do not edit the journals in any way, so as to ensure authenticity of the content and messages.

 

We are having issues with the comment section on Coast Guard All Hands, and the comments are currently closed. Please be assured we are working through the issue and will work to resolve this as soon as possible. In the meantime, please use the “Contact Us” page on the right-hand navigation column if you need to contact Coast Guard All Hands.

Tags: