Delta 194 Recruit Journal Week 07

International Maritime Signal Flag Delta

Delta 194 Recruit Journal

Formed: February 14, 2017

Graduates: April 07, 2017


!!!!!!!!!!    For those who can’t attend the Graduation   !!!!!!!  The Graduation Program will be posted on the Training Centers Website on Friday’s for one Week. The Button called Graduation Date has a drop down arrow.  This is where it’s found


The final week of boot camp is knocking on our door, like the mailman with a package you have been anxiously waiting for. It is an honor and a privilege to be with our forming company this far down the road, considering we have lost over 30 recruits in the past seven weeks. Revelle came 30 minutes early this week, meaning we lost our precious sleeping time to a 5 A.M. gym workout. We rotated from a vigorous bike workout to a heavy weight machine workout every other day. From what I have seen Delta prefers to pump some iron and get those biceps hugging our sleeves, especially now that we have to roll them up. We had a CPR class where we were instructed how to resuscitate someone who has gone into cardiac arrest. We also practiced on dummies and found out that CPR can be quite tiring. We did not receive any qualifications but we are definitely Semper Paratus if a situation like that was to occur. Tuesday morning was a rude awakening. We found out that the recruits on watch did not wake up Charlie Company at all when they were supposed to. There was even a recruit that stood watch for 3 hours because he was not properly relieved. It all fell in the hands of one recruit who forgot to pass on to the recruit who relieved him orders from the Training Duty Officer. We all paid for his mishap the following morning, which is not surprising because it seems like Delta always has that one individual that sets us back. But wait, it only gets worse from there, our Section Commander decided to take a stroll through our squad bays for inspection purposes, and discovered that they were not up to week 7 standards. We were instructed to be on line main muster after lunch not expecting to see the Section Commander make an appearance along with all 3 of our Company Commanders. We knew at that point that we had done something wrong. He commenced to walk up and down the Company Commander aisle addressing the company about how unsatisfactory our squad bays were. He was so displeased, our squad leaders got the full wrath of it and were handed the dreadful red belt and were told that their off base liberty was at stake. Not only did we feel like we let our squad leaders down, but more importantly we felt like we let Chief Robertson down the most, and he sure made us pay for it. Maybe that’s what we needed, because after going through all the repercussions, we were determined to get back on track. The following days consisted of practicing manual of arms for our test on Friday that was not taken because of the weather, and had a class on how to administer first aid for whatever situation we may come across throughout or Coast Guard careers. This week consisted of many interesting classes, such as alcohol and drug use, contraception and STD’s, which made us more knowledgeable about all those nasty diseases waiting to get us and how we should not put our careers at stake due to alcohol and drugs. The day of Reckoning arrived, as it was time to take the final that definitely raised our blood pressure due to the fear of failing. There were 30 open book questions and 20 closed book questions, which we were not used to considering most of our tests have been open book. We were determined to get it over with because we all knew that this was our last hurdle to the finish line. There were 5 recruits that failed the first time, but redeemed themselves the following morning on the retest. We were so relieved to know that we had finally passed all of our obstacles and the only thing that would hold us back would be failing to salute an officer, getting relaxed and losing your military bearing or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. No matter what day it is, the stress will continue to pile on at Training Center Cape May. Saturday was our day, the day we have all been waiting for, off-base liberty. We were given from 0945-2000 to go into the nearest town, which was Rio Grande, NJ and just be able to enjoy ourselves. Some of Delta went to the movies, while most of us got a hotel for the day to kick back and relax, and talk to our loved ones. It was great to taste food that was not from the galley. That was probably one of the best parts, just being able to sit with our shipmates, and discuss our experiences during training, while enjoying a quality meal. Off base liberty was something that definitely reminded us that we are still humans. It felt good to be able to smile and laugh without the worry of being yelled at. Looking back from when we arrived, each of us thought to ourselves 8 weeks is such a long time, but now we are here and it is surreal, and we know when the day of graduation arrives and we get to show our families the person we have become, it was all worth it.


Editor’s Note: This blog post was written by a recruit currently involved in Coast Guard basic training. The thoughts and opinions expressed in this Journal do not necessarily reflect those of Training Center Cape May, the U.S. Coast Guard or the federal government and are the sole opinion of the author. Recruit Journals are written by personnel in a high-stress environment with little time, so please excuse grammar and punctuation in the above article. The staff at Training Center Cape May do not edit the journals in any way, so as to ensure authenticity of the content and messages.


We are having issues with the comment section on Coast Guard All Hands, and the comments are currently closed. Please be assured we are working through the issue and will work to resolve this as soon as possible. In the meantime, please use the “Contact Us” page on the right-hand navigation column if you need to contact Coast Guard All Hands.